Saturday, January 1, 2011

Is Disney inside the castle?






This week after Christmas we traveled to Neuschwanstein Castle which is most famously known for being the inspiration for a few of the Disney castles, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. I say both, because of course on the internet there is great debate over which one was actually the original inspiration, so to cover my mistakes I noted both. :) Emma overhearing this, believed we were actually going to Disney World...she was a tad bit disappointed, but was soon won over with a carriage ride up the hill to the actual castle. We visited both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles and both were exquisite inside and out. Both were castles for the Kings of Bavaria, Ludwig and his father. Poor Ludwig didn't get to live in his fancy castle for too long. He had a spending problem and instead of just taking the checkbook away from him, they had a doctor declare he was 'mad' and dethroned. Geesh. I'm glad I'm not a Queen or anything.... This family was also very obsessed with swans, they were everywhere in the decor, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Emma was very concerned with why there were so many of them. The little hotel we stayed in was so cute and the food was amazing!!! All in all, it was a wonderful trip and I cannot wait to visit when the weather isn't as cold and the fog doesn't block the castle!

No comments: